Master of Arts in Professional Communication (MA) Admission
Students applying for admission to the Master of Art in Professional Communication Program must:
- Have a bachelor’s degreefrom an accredited institution. The degree need not be in communication, but applicants are encouraged to complete a minimum of one undergraduate course in communication theory if they have not already done so.
- Submit a cover letter(letter of intent). This is a brief (1-2 page) description of the applicant’s goals and expectations in pursuing a graduate degree.
- Submit an applicationalong with the non-refundable application fee (see application for details). Only online applications are acceptable for the Master of Arts in Professional Communication.
- Submit Credentials– All documents must be sent directly from their source to the Graduate Studies Admissions Office. Copies submitted by the prospective student are not acceptable.
- Official Transcripts: Arrange immediately with each college and/or university attended to send an official transcript. Transcripts submitted by the applicant are considered unofficial. Transcripts from different institutions accumulated on one transcript are not acceptable.
- Three Letters of Recommendation: Have the persons listed as references on the graduate application send letters of recommendation to the SUU Graduate Studies Admission Office. Students who have earned an SUU Communication degree in the three years immediately preceding application may waive the recommendation requirement by indicating their degree status in the letter of application.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE): Official GRE test scores must be on file before an applicant’s materials will be reviewed – no exceptions. See the GRE policies documentfor additional information. The GRE test measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and critical thinking and analytical writing skills. It is a gauge of your undergraduate preparation for graduate study. Students can register for the GRE and take practice tests online at gre.org. SUU requires a minimum combined GRE score of 290 (850 on the old exam) and a 4.0 on the analytical writing sections for full admission. The GRE should be taken so scores can be submitted simultaneously with the application. There is no requirement to take a GRE subject test.
- Non-native English speaker: International applicants from non-English-speaking countries must demonstrate competency in the English language. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must have been taken within the last two years. Minimum score requirements on the TOEFL are:
- Paper-based test = 550
- Computer-based test = 213
- Internet-based test = 79
- Provide a writing sample: Prospective students must submit a sample of their professional or academic writing. This may be from previous course work or professional activities (1,000 word minimum, not to exceed 3,000 words).
- GPA Requirements: Students must have a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0. Students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on the last 60 hours of undergraduate work and a minimum GRE score of 290 may be considered for conditional admission, but will not be eligible for graduate assistantships.
- Students scoring less than 146 on the verbal section, 140 on the quantitative section or 4.0 on the writing section may be admitted to the program on a conditional basis. Such students will be required to complete remedial courses as recommended by the Graduate Council. The Council will monitor the student’s progress with respect to grade point average and faculty assessment. Conditional admission is no guarantee of subsequent full admission.
Submit materials noted above except application (which is submitted online) to:
SUU Graduate Programs
351 W. University Blvd.
P.O. Box 8008
Cedar City, UT 84720
Fall Semester – June 15th*
Spring Semester – October 15th
*Students who wish to apply for assistantships must have a complete application along with the assistantship application submitted by March 15th.